Advent and Christmas support material
Below you will find a range of support material linked to the Advent and Christmas Barnabas RE Day theme.
The following selection of resource material would be suitable for classroom extension work on this theme from your Barnabas RE Day. There are a variety of activities, stories, music and pictures along with suggested approaches for using it with learners at Foundation, KS1 and KS2.
All worksheets come with full photocopy permission to use in your school.
In addition there are links to further ideas for follow-up on our websites.
Exploring the background to Advent
- Exploring Advent - for KS1
- Advent activities - for KS1 and KS2
Telling the story
- Christmas - for Foundation.
- The Innkeeper's Boy - for Foundation
- With Love From Me to You - for Foundation
- Advent - for KS1
- The Second Coming - for KS2
- The Birth of Jesus is Announced - for KS2
- Nativity Crib - for KS2
- A Christmas Garland - for KS2
- What happened in the original nativity story? - exploring the original Bible stories of the nativity with KS2
- Angels, angels everywhere - discussion on the significance and symbolism of angels for KS1
- A Special Birthday - talking about Christmas as a birthday party with Foundation
The following ideas from the Barnabas in Churches website may also be useful:
- The Cross and the Crib - presenting the Christmas story within the context of Jesus' life as a whole school assembly
- Introducing Advent - powerpoint presentation to use with the whole school
- The Twelve Days of Christmas - a new version of the carol, telling the Christmas story
- The Sound of Christmas - an assembly idea celebrating Jesus' arrival through sound
- The Meaning of Christmas - collective worship using the nine letters of Christmas to make associated words
- Christmas in a Suffering World - an assembly idea for KS2